This is a speedrun through Marble Madness completed in about 2:54. The usual gameplay revolves around trying to get the most points, so getting a wand (which adds time to the clock) is usually a good thing, but for a speedrun it's terrible. Even though this is a speedrun because I do so well I accumulate a very high score. :D
This game is so hard to play without dying. Even people who know the game very well have said that they have only beaten this game a few times without deaths, but they had to take it very slow. I myself have only beaten Marble Madness 4-5 times without dying and this happens to be one of those times!!! I've done it with 1 or 2 deaths plenty of times. There is usually something that prevents me from getting what I want.
I accomplished my original goal which was to get a deathless run under 2:55. :D
Level by level gameplay:
- Level 1: The best I could have done. The screen could not keep up with the marble, so I play blindly for the end section.
- Level 2: Went as planned. Once again the best I could have done.
- Level 3: A tiny bit sloppy, but still very awesome. I usually am about a second faster finishing the level.
- Level 4: First off, I get hit by a wand. I can't tell you how much I hated this. The run was going pretty well up to that point, nearly perfect and then I get a wand! Ugh! I'm just glad it didn't kill me like it usually does. Even though I got the wand, I decided to keep playing, thankfully. The rest of the level went amazingly. I got by all the little traps and whatnot and then at the end I managed to get past the hammers even when they were in a bad position. Go me! So the wand was the real killer here and that wasted a few seconds.
- Level 5: I get very aggrevated with this level sometimes. After you go through the tube the next portion is a little glitched sometimes so it's hard to maneuver correctly to avoid death. I've come up with a very consistant way to avoid dying there though. This level didn't go perfectly, but it went nearly as well as it could have. I decided against taking the shortcut because I've only been able to nail it a few times. I was already doing very well and I didn't want to ruin my shot at a good run.
- Level 6: This is the last level. When I reach this level and I have no deaths I automatically start getting extremely nervous. I was so afraid I was going to mess up the very beginning, but I managed it and got my act together for the next sections. Then once I reached the dissappearing platforms section I started to panic. I could not play well at all. Fighting through my nervousness I managed to complete the level nearly as best as I could have.
I am very happy with my performance. I could have done slightly better, but within reason, this is probably the best time I could have hoped for. Had I just not gotten hit by a wand the run would have been even better, but what can you do?
The previous speedrun done by Elliot was very well done. It looked error free when I first watched it. He took the very difficult paths and he didn't die, which is an amazing accomplishment. I think his precision matched if not exceeded mine. I was just insanely risky and took the quickest paths.
I would like to see some more competition on this game. My run is going to be tough to beat!